At St Mary's, our Keystage 2 children learn Spanish as their second language. Why?
- Spanish is the second most spoken language by native speakers in the world
- Spanish has emerged as the most important language for the UK in an analysis made by the British Council.
- It is considered one the easiest languages to learn.
- Spanish can be used as a ‘gateway’ to learn other languages as it has many similarities to other European languages.
- With an ever increasing presence in the global market, emerging economies in the Americas mean that the chance of work and business opportunities from Spanish knowledge is increasing.
- The vast range of countries that speak Spanish makes an understanding of the language very useful for those who want to travel.
- Plenty of aspects of culture in the Spanish-speaking world have become world-renowned and famous. Our children study artists such as Pablo Picasso, who has produced some of the most famous pieces of artwork in the modern era.
- Spanish and South American sport has consistently been among the best in the world in sports such as football