Teaching and Learning
At St Mary’s C of E Primary School, we educate for wisdom and aspiration with the help of the church and the community through a culture of dignity and respect. We aim to cultivate the gifts and talents of every child and equip them with the wisdom, knowledge and skills to live life in all its fullness: joys, celebrations, sorrows and struggles.
“For I know the plans I have for you, declares the Lord, plans for welfare and not for evil, to give you a future and a hope.” (Jeremiah 29:11)
The worth of each child impels us to work to fulfil their God-given potential, whatever the religion or other tradition with which their family identify, and with special consideration given to those who are disadvantaged. Every child has the right to the best possible education. We aim to ensure that all pupils, regardless of ability, SEND or circumstances, reach their full potential and gain the skills and knowledge necessary to lead successful lives. We strive for excellence. Our goal is that all pupils make outstanding progress. Outstanding learning is achieved through skilful teaching and our creative, relevant and exciting curriculum which rewards everyone within school.
We have created four bespoke principles for teaching and learning in our school and these are embedded into our daily practice. These are: communicative, creative, progressive and reflective.
Through the policies below, we aim to:
- embed an agreed range of high quality practice across the school
- ensure consistency throughout the school
- provide a unified focus for monitoring learning and classroom practice
- ensure that the needs of pupils are met
- continually improve and enhance the quality of teaching and learning
- ensure that pupils are receiving a broad, balanced and relevant curriculum, meeting the needs of our children
- ensure that teaching is appropriately differentiated for all pupils
- establish targets for improvement
- enhance the professional development of staff.
Quality assurance is strategically planned and undertaken by all leaders across school. The following documents support the quality assurance process and ensure that leaders' work is consistent and of high quality.